Saturday, August 3, 2013

Any Duchess Will Do

by Tessa Dare




Quite an apt description made by a reviewer, Any Duchess Will Do is a blend of Cinderella and My Fair Lady with an erotic twist. The strength of the lead characters, not only carry, but sweep me through the whirlwind of this book. The majority of the story takes place over a period of one week, but I don't feel like so. The way the relationship is developed is so believable and heartfelt I thought they're at it for a year. I've been told the characters fell in love spectacularly, eternally in many romances I've read, but rarely have I been shown how. I think this is one of the hardest parts of creating a good romance, believability. With all the improbability of the premises (duke hero and serving girl heroine for one), this book has the believability in abundance.
I love Tessa Dare's debut book. The follow-ups, not so much. I wasn't going to pick up this book at all if not for all the lofty reviews I saw here and thank you all for it. Although, I feel the ending is overlong and loses focus a bit, the book is beyond 'good'.

4/5


Read it yourself.